Sunday, May 01, 2005

Scottish Poetry Selection - Lord Ullin's Daughter

I don't know if it's that a friend of ours has been walking around town in his kilt drumming up support for Highland Games later in the year or what, but when I went looking for a poem to post I landed on this one, which is Scottish to the core. It was a favorite when I was a teenager - so tragic and so romantic and so dramatic, you know, and the interfering parent is sorry in the end. From a teen's view, what could sound better?

Now that I'm older, I have a different take on the whole story, of course, but I am still fond of the poem.

According to page linked above, this is one of the ten most requested poems at the Scottish Poetry Library (http://www.spl.org.uk/), so I guess I'm in good company.

Lord Ullin's Daughter

A Chieftain to the Highlands bound,
Cries, 'Boatman, do not tarry;
And I'll give thee a silver pound
To row us o'er the ferry.'

'Now who be ye would cross Lochgyle,
This dark and stormy water?'
'Oh! I'm the chief of Ulva's isle,
And this Lord Ullin's daughter...
Use the title link to read the rest.

I got this from the Poetry page at www.rampantscotland.com, which as of today boasts "12,000+ Scottish-related Links, regularly updated. 3,000 Web page features on Scotland and the Scots."

"Lord Ullin's Daughter" was written by Thomas Campbell (1777-1844).

No comments: