Saturday, May 14, 2005

Evangelical Diablog: Introduction to Evangelical Diablog

Dory Zinkand at Wittenberg Gate is one of the most thoughtful and articulate - not to mention brave and forthright - writers I've had the pleasure of reading in the blogosphere. She and I come to discussions from different perspectives (i.e., in the following excerpt I'm one of the "others") but I've found it well worth my while to read her take on things. She has also been gracious on the few occasions I've written to her.

And now she's launched a new project:

Purpose of Evangelical Diablog

The mission of this blog is to promote understanding through highlighting thoughtful dialog in the blogosphere as Evangelical Christians engage others in respectful conversation. Hopefully this site will help Evangelical Christians understand the perspectives of others, help others understand the thinking of Evangelical Christians, and serve as a model of a higher level of discourse for all of us.

My Motivation

It is frustrating for me to read broad, condemning comments about Evangelical Christians that reveal a deep misunderstanding of the way we think or reveal a deep-seated prejudice against us. What is even more frustrating is when I read Evangelical Christians engaging in the same sort of rhetoric against others. Let's face it, we don't bring honor to Christ or persuade anyone to change their minds by attacking them or their intentions. We can't answer their objections unless we first take the time to understand them. In fact, when we take the time to understand another point of view, we may actually find out they are right on some things where we are wrong or that we already agree on more than we expected. Likewise, we can't expect others to understand and relate to us unless we can winsomely express our point of view.

I applaud the effort and wish her the best of luck in the new venture!

Use the title link to read the rest of Dory's "Introduction to Evangelical Diablog".

No comments: