Monday, May 23, 2005

Flow Gently, Sweet Afton

Flow Gently, Sweet Afton is one of those songs - like Somewhere Over the Rainbow and that Tomorrow song from Annie - that makes us untalented singers feel like we can sing. When I was little, it was also great for when we were in ladies-in-waiting mode at playtime - it just sounds like something cultivated ladies and gentlemen would sing in olden days. I hope it's still being taught to youngsters - but in case it isn't...

For lyrics with explanations of the unusual words, go to Rampant Scotland.

For lyrics with a bit of history plus music in the background, see Flow Gently Sweet Afton. Warning: the music starts automatically.

I know, I know. It's one of those melodies that once in your head has a rotten tendency to get stuck and repeat itself. I have a friend who has Chattanooga Choo-choo stuck in his head right now, and I have this one. I'm not sure which of us has it worse...

Wait, don't tell me you don't know that catchy little tune, either? Go here for a little history and a rendition of that one.

No comments: