Monday, May 02, 2005

Mommy Life: Their futures - what really matters most

Mommy Manual: Planting Roots That Give Your Children Wings
Mommy Manual: Planting Roots That Give Your Children Wings


Author Barbara Curtis has an excerpt from her latest book on her blog. From that excerpt, an excerpt:
...it takes more than competence, intelligence, or education to produce the kind of man or woman I want each of my children to grow up to be.

There’s a word that comes to mind here: mensch. It’s one of those Yiddish words – a Germanic language written in Hebrew and including many special Hebrew words, especially those that have to do with faith. It’s a challenge to translate, but because it means exactly what I’m talking about here, I’ll try.

The German language has the word mann for man. But mensch means so much more. One dictionary defines mensch as “a person having admirable characteristics, such as fortitude and firmness of purpose.” Mensch also signifies a perfect gentleman or a perfect lady, someone compassionate, caring, and kind.

So when I think about the kind of adults I want my children to grow up to be, I’m thinking menschen – men and women with good, strong, and gracious character. I want them to grow up to be faithful wives and husbands, loving parents, brave believers, good friends, and committed citizens...

No comments: