Thursday, April 28, 2005

Clifford D. May: Teddy Kennedy yelled at me! So shouldn't he resign?

Columnist Clifford D. May takes aim at the Bolton controversary (and the current fad of making mountains out of molehills) with a story of his own:

For 20 years I have kept my silence. I will do so no longer. In the debate over John Bolton's nomination to be U.S. ambassador to the United Nations, it finally has been made clear to me that a human being who yells at another human being does not deserve to hold high office. It's what Sen. George Voinovich calls “the Kitchen Test.”

And so, it's time I finally told the painful truth: Ted Kennedy yelled at me. He hurt my feelings. Therefore, those who believe John Bolton does not deserve to be confirmed must surely also agree that Senator Kennedy must step down. Here is the never-before-told story:

It happened in Ethiopia during the height of the Great Famine of the 1980s. Sen. Kennedy had come on a fact-finding mission. As Africa correspondent of The New York Times, I was assigned to travel with him...

Use the title link for the rest of the story. Martha Radditz, currently of ABC News, plays a supporting role, since she was yelled at in the same sorry incident.

1 comment:

Bookworm said...

Funny article. Thanks for directing me to it.