Tuesday, April 26, 2005

NPR : Inner-City Teacher Takes No Shortcuts to Success

The above-linked article from National Public Radio is about Rafe Esquith, who for 24 years has taught at an inner-city school in Los Angeles.

The second-largest elementary school in the nation, Hobart has more than 2,000 students; 90 percent live below the poverty level. All are from immigrant families, primarily Hispanic and Asian. Though none speaks English as a first language, Esquith's students read literature far above their fifth-grade level -- Catcher in the Rye, Huckleberry Finn, To Kill a Mockingbird.

But Esquith takes his students beyond contemporary literature and into a world at the heart and soul of his teaching: an intensive immersion in William Shakespeare -- reading his plays, studying his life and times. This yearlong study culminates in April, when students present a full-length, unabridged production of Shakespeare. Last year, it was Hamlet. This year, it's The Taming of the Shrew.

That intensive education has taken the "Hobart Shakespearians" far beyond their classroom; they've appeared at the Old Globe Theatre in London, before the Royal Shakespeare Company, and at Shakespearian festivals throughout the United States...
This interview includes an excerpt from Esquith's 2003 memoir, There Are No Shortcuts. From that excerpt, an excerpt:

For several years this book and character became the highlight of my year of reading great novels with the students. It was Mark Twain's masterpiece, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn....

I, too, would reject society, and a school system damaged beyond repair. If a few cool kids wanted to light out for the territory with me, they were welcome to come aboard the raft on which I sailed.

Except I had come to a point where no one was getting on board the raft with me. I loved Huck, but I was still lost. I thought I knew who I was, but to be Huck was not to be a great teacher.

It took a ten-year-old to challenge and humble me into seeing that Huck was not the answer for me...

I was now ready to find the role model who had the answer for me. I reread Harper Lee's To Kill a Mockingbird, and I realized I had found my hero in Atticus Finch...

It hit me like a thunderbolt. You see, Atticus knows everything Huck knows. He knows society is racist. He recognizes the violence, hypocrisy, injustice, and ignorance of society. He knows he is going to lose. But Atticus does not light out for the territory. He goes back into the courtroom to fight the fight as best as he can, because it is what he believes in...
There Are No Shortcuts
There Are No Shortcuts


UPDATE: The story as broadcast on NPR has quite a bit that isn't included in the written article, including audio of classroom questions and answers, kids performing Shakespeare, kids playing musical instruments, information on the nonprofit organization associated with Esquith's efforts, and more. Use title link for both the audio and written versions.

1 comment:

Joan said...

Beautiful and thought-provoking excerpt. Thanks for linking to it with such a smooth introduction. I intend to read No Shortcuts to Success. I also intend to link to this post.