Friday, July 08, 2005

OpinionJournal - Citizen of the World: 'Take Courage'

Tunku Varadarajan shares what some of his British friends told him after he inquired if they were okay after the bomb blasts.

For instance:
My friend Q.'s response to my note yesterday was a very British jewel: "Yes, tin helmet firmly affixed on bean, sandbags at the door, sticky tape on the windows, but the kettle is on and we'll soon have steaming mugs of sweet tea to hand. Don't panic!"

Q. was chiding me for my note--and I took that as proof of absolute well-being. In his words we find a self-deprecating pride, a gentle mocking of the "Mrs. Miniver" approach that got Britons through the Blitz--and, by golly, was going to see them through this brush with Islamist lunatics.
That noise you could hear if you were closer to me is me - applauding.

Full op-ed piece

No comments: