Sunday, July 24, 2005

Liberty and Lily: In the Public Eye

I caught a little of the footage of President Bush nominating John Roberts to the Supreme Court the other day, and I was charmed by Mr. Roberts. How nice, I thought, to have someone at that level who doesn't act like he thinks he is owed this honor.

Now I find out that part of that apparent struggle to maintain composure wasn't due to not being accustomed to being the center of attention on live television while someone introduces you at length. (It is, in my experience, easier to do the introducing than to just stand there being scrutinized while someone else lays on the praise - I can't imagine doing it with a hostile media doing constant close-up...)

Anyway, what we didn't see (and I wish we had) was that during this somewhat-solemn occasion, the judge's young son was grabbing center stage and dancing. Like little boys sometimes will, of course.

Donna-Jean at Liberty and Lily has a good post (use title link), from the perspective of a mother who has been subjected to the same sort of ill-timed theatrics by one of her own children. She also has links to pictures and video of the sideshow at the Roberts nomination.

No comments: