Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Asio Flammeus - Gufo di palude (Short-eared Owl website)

Many years ago, my husband and I were driving near Seneca, Oregon, when we encountered one of the strangest sights I'd seen in my life. From a distance, it made me think of a huge moth. (I mean huge.) We pulled over and gaped. With the help of binocs, we determined it was an owl.

We watched and watched, as it flopped and fluttered through the air. Out came the bird book. We might have figured things out from regular field marks, but there in the description was that note about the flight of the short-eared owl being "moth-like." Bingo! "Very distinctive flight" I think the field guide also said. No kidding! They could be one of the more sophisticated-looking owls, I think, if it weren't for their slapstick way of getting about. Luckily, they are known to hunt during the day. And furthermore, they have a very wide distribution. So you have a decent chance of seeing one in your lifetime, if you keep your eyes open. We've seen others since then, now that we've learned how to watch for them.

The title link goes to an Italian website devoted to short-eared owls. It is presented in Italian for the most part (of course it is, and just my luck I don't read Italian), but there are some articles in English, and some links that go to English websites. But the photo gallery needs no translation. Great photos!

Hat tip: USGS Raptor Information System (RIS)

No comments: