Monday, February 20, 2006

Happy Washington's Birthday!

Well, I'll be. For years I've been lamenting that Washington's Birthday got swallowed up into a mushy three-day-weekend Monday called Presidents Day (aka President's Day aka Presidents' Day). I've thought that by including everybody who held the office it more or less honored nobody in particular and, more to the point, nothing in particular. It might be fine for someone who worships government, I guess, or someone who doesn't much care if a President was good or bad as long as he managed to get enough votes to hold office, but for me I thought it was a shame. It was particularly a shame, I thought, because one thing this country could use is more consideration of what made George Washington a great man as well as a remarkable one.

I've been a fool. A sucker! I've fallen for a propaganda campaign. I have my ideas about who is behind the push to lump all the Presidents together and not look at any one of them too closely, but at the moment I don't care to spend my time thinking about them.

As Matthew Spalding points out It’s Still George Washington’s Birthday (Not President’s Day).

No, really. See 2006 Federal Holidays.

Happy Washington's Birthday!

Update: See Happy Washington's Birthday, Take Two for a clarification/correction.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Here's a 1999 column that supports your feelings.

Bring Back Washington's Birthday
by Alvin S. Felzenberg

(excerpt)
'.. As Gary Nash || promulgator of the infamous "Goals 2000" curriculum - put it, "part of 'new history' is to liberate American students from the prison house of facts." '

(excerpt)
"President's Day soon became part their strategy. No longer the topic of essay contests, school assembly programs, plays and pageants, Washington was reduced in size and standing to but one of 42 men who had been president. His contributions were no more stressed and praised than those of Franklin Pierce."

http://www.heritage.org/Press/Commentary/ed021599.cfm