Saturday, December 31, 2005

Writing and Living: My Year of Dickens: The Strategy

The blogger at Writing and Living has announced that she intends to read Dickens in 2006. All of Dickens. In the order written. Now that's a New Year's resolution!

She has gotten a head start by already starting on The Pickwick Papers. It's been some years now since I read The Pickwick Papers, but I loved it. It was more humorous than I anticipated, knowing Dickens at the time only from movies long on gray tones and cruel old men.

For myself, I don't think I could read all of an author's works in one year, any author, even, say, Joseph C. Lincoln, who is as nice an author as I've ever met in print. I think I'd feel overdosed, or something. Or would start to talk in a manner reminiscent of what that author puts in the mouths of his characters ;-).

(You think I'm joking? I assure you, life and conversation around this household aren't quite normal after someone's been reading P.G. Wodehouse for any length of time. It's like an infection, or something. Of course, Wodehouse is a special case.)

Here's hoping 'Writing and Living' has great fun with her project. She's launching the project with humor and gentle jabs at herself for announcing she's going to try to do it one year, so I expect she will have fun. Go, girl!

P.S. Here's the post where she explains where she got the idea.

Hat tip: "Reading Lists" at Semicolon

No comments: