Friday, December 02, 2005

How common is your surname?

Judson ranks 6,908th among surnames in the United States, at least in terms of how common it is, at least according to this. My maiden name, however, is right up there in the top 200, which surprises me some. I knew we were common, but I didn't think we were that common ;-).

My mother-in-law's maiden name doesn't have a ranking, only a notice that it's not among the top 55,000 most common names in the US. This does not surprise me any, since I'd never heard it before I met my husband, and since google searches using that name turn up surprisingly few hits.

Hmmm. I just checked my mother's maiden name. It's within 20 of her married name (my maiden name). That's weird. It's totally trivial and can't possibly mean anything, but what would be the chances that two people with almost equally common surnames would marry each other? (Especially with names not in the top 150?)

How about your surname?

Hat tip: Amanda Witt.

P.S. I hate to admit this, but I've just spent several minutes thinking of names, trying to guess how popular they are, and then checking my guesses against the rankings. I'm, uhm, not exactly stellar at this...

3 comments:

Joan said...

My granddaughter and I enjoyed trying out family names. Our name ranks 20,548. My maiden name ranks 141. Interesting

Bookworm said...

I am unique, and beyond such things as mere lists! My husband and kids come in at 45,000.

Anonymous said...

My surname is ranked 17,790. My mother's maiden name (which is also my middle name) comes in at number 97.