Thursday, June 16, 2005

Roma Locuta Est: A New Cause for Canonization (for G.K. Chesterton)

David at the Roma Locuta Est blog wants to know why efforts don't seem to be underway for possible canonization of G.K. Chesterton. He's assuming that initial petitions should be made to the Archdiocese of Westminster. Yes? No? Maybe? Does anybody have any answers for this young man? (Use title link.)

I've nosed around a bit (I have to think the idea has come up before), but so far the best thing I've found with any relationship is The Essential Chesterton by David W. Fagerberg, from the March 2000 issue of First Things, which is interesting in a roundabout way but doesn't tell me what I'd like to know. (Like, was Chesterton previously investigated and found lacking in some essential of sainthood? Case closed?) Otherwise I'm just finding usually-humorous suggestions that Chesterton be named the patron saint of the blogosphere, etc. (Personally, I'm having trouble wading through the thickets of results that show up on Google. Everybody and his country cousin quotes Chesterton when posting about saints, it seems like, and I haven't figured out ways to sort the wheat from the chaff yet...)

I'm not planning on spending much more time on this, but I thought some of the rest of you might be interested.

No comments: