Friday, June 10, 2005

Katie Wernecke: Texas versus her parents

Have you heard about this? Texas authorities issued an Amber Alert so they could track down and take a 12-year-old away from her parents because the parents disagreed with doctors about what cancer treatment the girl should undergo? Or, more specifically, what further cancer treatment the girl should undergo right now. She's had chemo. The parents weren't sure radiation was a wise move just now and were setting up visits to another doctor. And so - essentially because some doctors said so - the state took not only the girl but the other kids in the family away from the parents? Do I have this right?

I'm still in the early stages of tracking down info on this - the first I heard of it was this afternoon on The Big Story on Fox, when Judge Andrew Napolitano was interviewing talk show host Mike Gallagher about it. According to Gallagher, the other kids in the Wernecke family have been released from foster care, but Katie is still in 'protective custody' facing forced medical care. Gallagher said that now that people are getting more of the facts there seems to be a shift in public opinion toward the parents (I would hope we'd favor parents over doctors who don't approve of second opinions). Personally, I'm not finding much right now when I do Google searches, etc. I did find this. Use title link for another, slightly older news story from KRIS TV.

UPDATE: I'm still finding that most news sites are simply running whatever AP feeds them. There is this, though, from The Times in the UK. I should add that Gallagher said that the 'blood transfusion only from the mother' bit is a side issue, since the mother is a good match and since the girl doesn't need a blood transfusion right now.

UPDATE: I also found this, which also discusses the right to refuse medical care.

No comments: