Friday, June 17, 2005

Books for Door Prizes, June 2005 edition

Yesterday, I started a new book tag:
Imagine that a local philanthropist is hosting an event for local high school students and has asked you to pick out five to ten books to hand out as door prizes. At least one book should be funny and at least one book should provide some history of Western Civilization and at least one book should have some regional connection. The philanthropist doesn't like foul language (but will allow some four-letter words in context, such as expressed during battle by soldiers). Otherwise things are pretty wide open. What do you pick?
Of course I shouldn't ask without being willing to play the game myself, so here goes.

Roadside History of Oregon
Roadside History of Oregon


The Bear in the Attic
The Bear in the Attic

Ten Stupid Things Men Do to Mess Up Their Lives
Ten Stupid Things Men Do to Mess Up Their Lives

Ten Stupid Things Women Do to Mess Up Their Lives
Ten Stupid Things Women Do to Mess Up Their Lives

The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America
The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Western North America

Roadside Geology of Oregon
Roadside Geology of Oregon

John Adams
John Adams

The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries
The Inspector and Mrs. Jeffries

Crocodile on the Sandbank
Crocodile on the Sandbank

Jim the Boy
Jim the Boy

And, yes, the above list is a very odd combination. There's a tendency these days to try to arrange it so all kids at any event wind up going home with essentially the same prizes. I can't see where that's any fun at all. I want some lively discussion afterward about who got the best prize. I want the kids to be able to razz each other a little over who won what. I also want to tempt a few of them from their computers long enough to notice that we're surrounded by, you know, an actual physical landscape. How'd I do? :)

I guess I should note that I haven't actually read The Bear in the Attic - but Patrick F. McManus has been very popular with local teens (and adults) with his earlier titles, so I'm banking on his reputation. And I haven't read the Laura Schlessinger books either, except for the jacket copy - but I couldn't resist. I don't know too many people who would much like to have somebody hand them either "Ten Stupid Things..." title as a gift, but as a door prize I think they're a hoot. (Put them down in the icebreaker category, if you'd like.)

No comments: