Thursday, February 24, 2005

HMS Argonaut war record

Bingo! As I mentioned in previous posts, I was looking for more information on the HMS Argonaut of the World War II-era. I just found a wonderful write-up that manages to cover practically everything I was wondering about. Plus it provided some surprises. The crew lived on the ship while it was in the Philadelphia Navy Yard being repaired? That must have been fun. Also, there are two photos of her, one from when she was whole and fresh, and one showing torpedo damage.

More specifically, this is a write-up by Bill Procter, under the HMS Argonaut War Record title. This isn't the only Argonaut entry, but I haven't had a chance to review the others yet. I'm having trouble linking to the specific page directly. From the main page, use the drop down from stories, go to war records, and down to Argonaut.

This is from the www.world-war.co.uk site, which I hadn't known about. The heading says:

This site is my small tribute to the men of all navies who served on ships in WW2. Never forget what they did !
So now you are here, what is there to see ? What makes this site different is the war at sea is told by those who were there. Personal stories explain what is was like to be on a ship at war.


The current site statistics are 314 pages, 1281 pics, 841 page votes (you can vote for how good you think a page is), 62838 photo votes, most hits in a day - 453, votes per day - 73.12.

History buffs, this might be a site you'd like to check out.

No comments: