Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Technical tidbits: Or, Thank you, Blogger

Sometimes it pays to read the instructions. Under my "dashboard" at Blogger (sort of command central for my blog), there was a box in which it asked if I wanted to require word verification for comments, to prevent comment spam. Having recently been discovered by spammers, I was primed. Tah dah. Piece of cake. A couple-three clicks later, I now have spam protection. I apologize to non-spammers for the extra five seconds it will take you to leave a comment, but, honestly, it looks like a simple solution to an obvious annoyance. Anyone who has Blogger can install this feature by going to "settings" and then to "comments."

For another bit of Blogger technical savvy, see What is the "Flag" button? for an explanation of that little "Flag?" box up in the navigation bar.

Update: I've been playing with the new "word verification" feature in comments, and I've stumbled across one potential problem. Once (just once, so far) I wasn't quite sure what the letters were I was supposed to type (they were a little too run-together and wavy, as it happened). One easy solution for that is to back out and try again because the program generates a new password each time. Let me know if you have any problems with this.

No comments: