Tuesday, August 23, 2005

Mommy Life: Labeled disabled - Magnificent Mom

Judy Ann Squier is a lady you might like to meet, I think. She was born without legs, for all intents and purposes, and her story, as shared with Barbara Curtis on Barbara's blog, is a tribute to hope, faith, perserverance.

From:
I get the feeling the day of my birth was not a celebration.

No one ever said, but I have a hunch my birth announcement had an invisible PS that everyone could see, In lieu of balloons: Bring a hankie.

My midnight arrival was like a cold shower to the unsuspecting obstetrician. With no prepared speech for such a tragedy he blurted out, "Your daughter is going to live I am sorry to say." Thats what my dad recollects.
To:
One more thing: I recognize that God has given me a voice for the endangered species - babies in utero with birth defects - the ones targeted for a medical abortion because they will never have a quality life. I welcome any and all opportunites to challenge that misconception with stories from the life of Judy Ann.
Thank goodness she was blessed with a mother who saw her as a daughter - not as an embarrassment or, worse yet, some sort of commodity that was subject to quality control measures, if I can put it like that.

1 comment:

Bookworm said...

I'd like to see her go nose to nose with Peter Singer, the "ethicist" at Princeton who advocates killing babies up to 28 days after their birth if someone (parents? doctors? government? Singer himself?) deems them sufficiently defective.