Wednesday, August 17, 2005

Reasoned Audacity: Merchant of Venice and Movielink.com

Charmaine Yoest is on the road with her kids, and wanted to watch a movie, and discovered a website that lets you download movies onto your laptop. She and her kids had a good experience, and she recommends checking out the site.

So I pop over to see if this website has classics - as in those wonderful old black and white movies with wit instead of raunch - or anything else along those lines. Oops. I never get past the welcome screen, which informs me:
Sorry, but as of May 2, 2005, Movielink no longer supports Windows 98 and ME operating systems. Movielink also does not support Mac or Linux.

In order to enjoy the Movielink service, you must use Windows 2000 or XP, which support certain technologies we utilize for downloading movies.
That leaves me out. But you guys with Windows 2000 or XP, feel free to have fun without me ;-)

(I say as I eye my small DVD collection longingly, wondering if I have time for Fiddler on the Roof and/or a Zorro flick today. Or maybe "Sabotage" by Alfred Hitchcock? Have you seen any early Hitchcock films, where he's toying with techniques for which he's famous later on but is still bowing to convention as well going for the occasional cheap laugh? Intriguing stuff, Hitchcock films. But Sabotage? I don't know. Based on Joseph Conrad's "The Secret Agent", it centers on bombings in London. Maybe too close to reality just now... For that matter, Jews being forced from their homes...could I bear to watch Fiddler on the Roof right now? Hmmm.... Zorro! Fighting for the little guy just because you can! Justice! Honor! Fantastic horsemanship! Sly but charming heroes! Truly shiveringly-bad bad guys! Humor here, swordfights there - sometimes humorous sword fights, for that matter... Hmmm...)

Charmaine's post

No comments: