Thursday, July 20, 2006

There are romance novels and then there are romance novels

Romance novels, like all types of fiction, tend to have noticeable trends. I sometimes wonder whether they influence the culture or reflect it - I suppose it's a bit of both. At any rate, Bookworm has found a number of current romance authors who promote admirable qualities and are pro-life. (She has also found some that definitely don't fall into those categories.) See The morals of romance novels.

(And, no. We're not talking the Christian publishing houses here. We're talking general market.)

If you know of any authors who write "romance" that doesn't undercut traditional values, please share. I'd love to see that share of the market get boosted. Wouldn't you?

It's been my experience that many authors change their stripes during their career, so please feel free to recommend specific books, if you'd rather. That way we can avoid serious misunderstandings, I think.

Bookworm confines herself to current authors, but I'm throwing the field wide open: old, new, historical, religious, non-religious, time travel, you name it. If it's romance, have at.

No comments: