Friday, March 11, 2005

OKIE on the LAM - In LA : Dad's Letters to Mom During WWII

Heads up, anyone interested in the World War II era - or love stories, for that matter:

It’s my birthday today, I’m 53. I promised myself that on this birthday I would begin a project that will take a decent amount of time, and will bring up a lot of strong emotions. Over however many months it takes, I’m going to share with you my Father’s love letters to my Mom that he wrote to her during World War II....
This is wonderful: okieboy - that would be Arthur D. Baker off-blog - includes photos of the letters, so you can read them in the original if you like. With those he provides a typed version, if you'd rather not struggle with the originals. It looks like he's planning to do this in weekly installments, on Fridays. He's one month into the project. I've linked to the first installment.

Hat tip: Mark Tapscott's Copy Desk.

UPDATE: For more on World War II, with emphasis on first-hand accounts, see http://www.world-war.co.uk. The site gets better and bigger all the time. It's dedicated "to the men of all navies who served on ships in WW2". It's heavy on UK, as you might expect from the name of the site, but there's quite a bit there from US ships. And they let you vote for best stories and best pictures. (They have 1,283 photos already, and are looking for more, if you have any.)

No comments: