Friday, March 18, 2005

Blindsided: Lifting a Life Above Illness: A Reluctant Memoir, by Richard M. Cohen

Flipping through the television channels today, looking for news updates, I caught a glimpse of a woman I recognized as Meredith, the host of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? I was intent on the news, not entertainment gossip, so got ready to move on, when a chance bit got through to me - What is the hardest thing about living with his illness?, she was asked. I stayed a minute or two more, and found out that she lives with a husband stricken with MS. The hardest thing is when he acts as though he feels somehow diminished, because I know that isn't true...

I'm paraphrasing. I didn't have the presence of mind to take notes, or hit a recorder button. It was a joint interview, her with her husband, Richard M. Cohen.

I went looking for the book they said he'd written, and found it just came out in trade paperback, ISBN 0060014105, list price $13.95. At Alibris.com, for a random example of street price, it sells new for $10.46.

If the book is as engaging as its author, it would be worth a read.

No comments: