Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Recognizing a baby in the womb

The baby in the following story is about 19 weeks along:

[...]

In the car on the way home, a funny thing happened. The tech had given me printouts of both kinds of image [2-D and 3-D]. We were driving away from the hospital before I had a chance to look at the pictures. Puzzled, I stared at the 3-D closeup of the baby's face. It seemed ridiculous to say so, but this didn't look like the right baby. It was a different face, one I did not recognize.

Scott noticed my bewildered scrutiny. "What's wrong?" he asked.

"Nothing," I said uncertainly. "It's just...this doesn't look like our baby."

"Um, honey," he said, glancing at my belly, "I'm pretty sure it's impossible for someone else's baby to be in there."

"I know it sounds crazy," I said. That's when I noticed the name printed in the upper corner of the image. It wasn't my name...

Read the whole post at Here in the Bonny Glen, by Melissa Wiley.

1 comment:

reader_iam said...

This makes COMPLETE sense to me.

When I saw the one of the four "pictures" taken of my son at the time of my amnio, I immediately cried out, "Oh! He's going to have the [father's family name'] big eyes and his head is shaped just like yours!"

Everyone thought I was a little nuts.

Well, guess what. He does have those eyes and his head is shaped EXACTLY like his dad's--and he even has the exact same cowlicks in the exact same place. The guy who does both of their haircuts has mentioned that frequently since mine son got his first haircut at a year. (He also inherited the full head of hair that his dad has.)

Cool story.