Wednesday, March 01, 2006

The Fair Tax BlogBurst

I'm still researching the "Fair Tax", so don't read this as an endorsement just yet, but I thought you might like to know there's a new blogburst/blogroll set up to promote it. And they're looking to add new members, if you're interested.

From Publius Rendezvous, the second blogburst post:

While many people know what the FairTax is all about, many others do not. This week we’ll cover a little ground explaining the basics of the FairTax, and why the members of this Blogburst think it’s an idea whose time has come.

First off, let’s be clear about one thing — the FairTax is not about tax reform. It’s a complete replacement of the existing system. The current tax on income is completely gutted...

hat tip: Slobokan's Site O' Schtuff: The Fair Tax Blogburst #1

4 comments:

Bookworm said...

It's a dumb question, but what exactly is a blog burst and how does one participate?

Kathryn Judson said...

Bookworm, Not a dumb question. I've seen it used differently in different places and at different times.

I used to think of it as a one-off type of thing, called out in emergencies -- a call for as many bloggers as possible to blog on a subject and fast. For instance, when a blogger overseas was jailed for political reasons and needed attention put on his captors to make it harder for them to execute him and get away with it, or to get tsunami aid organized, that sort of thing. Life and death stuff. Calls to immediate action.

But I've also seen it used like I think these folks are using it, which is to get several blogs to sign up and agree to post similar (or even identical) posts at the same time, to amplify a message. Some blogbursts only provide a subject to be addressed and expect each blogger to approach it from his own angle, and others send a post to be reprinted, or at least linked to.

For this particular blog burst, if you go to the post, there are links to follow to join the blogroll and mailing list. I'm still trying to find out exactly what they expect of anyone who signs up. (I appreciate the folks who have it spelled out right up front, but some people don't seem to think of that.)

At any rate, from what I've seen (and I'm no expert on this by any stretch!) blog bursts tend to be "All for one and one for all" type things, promoting a cause and (not always incidentally) increasing links and hits, and building up blog communities.

Bookworm said...

What a perfectly lucid description of blogbursts. Thank you, Kathryn. I'll think about following up on it. While I know our current tax system is a disaster that hampers the American economy, I'm not quite sure I'm sufficiently tax aware to endorse the Fair Tax system.

Kathryn Judson said...

Bookworm, I'm definitely in the "a little knowledge is a dangerous thing" phase with the Fair Tax issue myself. I'm not a fan at this point, but I'm glad to see people trying to educate those of us who only have a passing acquaintance with their ideas.

The way things stand now, I'm not planning to sign up myself, but I'm happy to help them get their message out.