Thursday, September 15, 2005

Book Notes: The Little Engine That Could

I am checking market prices for used books this afternoon (like most afternoons), and I just came across

Little Engine That Could
Little Engine That Could


- a board book adaptation of the classic story by Watty Piper. It is the second version of The Little Engine That Could that I've put out for sale this month. I cannot tell you how many different versions and editions of this book I've sold over the last ten years. Big books. Little books. Really little books. Original illustrations. New illustrations. Original text. Adapted text. Hardbacks. Paperbacks. Board books. At any rate, it's come out in more variations than most books we sell. This has made for some awkward moments in the special order department, when people want a precise replica of a book they had as a child but are somewhat flummoxed when you ask for a description of it. Typical answer: It had some blue on the cover, I remember that... Typical polite reply: Well, that's a good start... But I'm not complaining, not really. It's a great little children's story, and I'm glad it's stayed in print.

Oh, now - look here. This is news to me. There's yet another version coming out. Currently available for pre-order with a release date of September 27, this one is oversize (10" x 12"), and is illustrated by Loren Long:

Little Engine That Could
Little Engine That Could


Too fun. This was one of my favorite stories as a child. I love that it's lasted like this.

2 comments:

Bookworm said...

My favorite version is the Burl Ives song, which I remembered from my childhood and was able to find for my kids.

Kathryn Judson said...

Ooh. Burl Ives! Yes! Fun!