Saturday, March 01, 2008

The effects of suffering

C.S. Lewis's book The Problem of Pain is one of those books I keep meaning to get my hands on and read. But I haven't yet. So when I'm wondering if John Marks, author of Reasons to Believe: One Man's Journey Among the Evangelicals and the Faith He Left Behind, has ever read it is strictly because of this review of his book (which is all I know of his book so far), in contrast to reviews like this one of The Problem of Pain, at Findings (via Semicolon).

I love the Lewis quote at the top of the Findings review, by the way.

Update: I see that writer2b, at Findings, had an earlier post on The Problem of Pain, World without chloroform, which includes this Lewis quote:

Lay down this book and reflect for five minutes on the fact that all the great religions were first preached, and long practised, in a world without chloroform. At all times, then, an inference from the course of events in this world to the goodness and wisdom of the Creator would have been equally preposterous; and it was never made. Religion has a different origin.
Food for thought.

Update: I just came across another reference to The Problem of Pain, at the Union University Tornado Updates blog. I can't seem to figure out how to link to a specific post, so let me try giving you the teaser in its entirety:
February 27, 2008 - 5:11:00 PM JACKSON, Tenn. (BP)--C.S. Lewis in "The Problem of Pain" says that God often uses the experiences of suffering as a megaphone to awaken us. Suffering and pain, Lewis said, are often the essential means by which God brings about dependence, fortitude, patience and forgiveness in His children, while also arousing acts of mercy and compassion. Read More...

No comments: