Monday, March 19, 2007

The first wave of spring

The first wave of solid spring hit about last Thursday, I think it was, and lasted through yesterday. Today doesn't seem to be quite sure which season to join. I'm sitting here wondering how long I can hold out in my cotton skirt with sandals. A more-sensible person would have opted for warmer clothes by now, but... but... I don't want to go back to warmer clothes. I. am. so. ready. for. spring.

It amazes me how quickly life springs in spring. The first day of really spring-like weather we had butterflies. I never saw a caterpillar. Just, boom, here were butterflies. Yesterday I saw a ladybug (aka ladybird beetle), full-grown and bright. We've had swarms of small bugs, names unknown to me, that seem to have come out of nowhere. Violets bloomed all over the yard, all of a morning. I can look out in the morning and again in the evening and see a difference in plants all over the yard. Sometimes, in spring, the saying "just watching the grass grow" isn't altogether a joke. Especially if you watch the shrubs and trees and bulbs and perennials letting loose, sometimes by inches a day.

So, of course, I'm outside as much as possible, "just watching the grass grow" and playing with - changing - garden plans I made in the winter. Gardening in my mind.

I. am. so. ready. for. spring.

Tuesday update: A bit windy, cold and stormy today, off and on. Rain. Then snow. Then...

Did I mention that our seasons around here tend to come in waves, advancing and receding, advancing and receding?

Or that I'm ready for spring? Spring that stays a while? Not that winter doesn't have its charms, but...

No comments: