Monday, February 05, 2007

On car doors and locks

My husband went to the store yesterday. When he got there, he noticed a group of people in the parking lot, bunched around a car, trying to get into it using a piece of wire.

No, no, don't get ahead of me, here. One of the people was a respected grown-up my husband recognized. It was clearly a case of a young woman having locked herself out of her car, and people on hand coming to her aid as best they could, given their lack of knowledge of car thievery and the car's doorlock design.

When my husband went back outside, the group was still at it. On a hunch, he walked over and said, "You have tried the back door, haven't you?" as he reached out for the door handle for the passenger seat behind the driver's seat.

Which. Opened. Nice. As. You. Please.

I'd laugh harder except I've made mistakes just as silly in my lifetime. Ahem.

As it happens, I read a locked-out-of-car post just the other day. See Joe McKeever's It Takes a Professional for a story taken from Ron Dunn's book "Don't Just Stand There, Pray Something."

No comments: