Sunday, January 29, 2006

So this guy and his son were walking through the woods...

Wayne Rice was just on the Weekend Magazine radio show, talking with Bill Maier, and he said a couple of things that got my attention.

First, Rice said he tells teens that they can be a thermostat, not a thermometer. Thermometers only tell you what the temperature is. Thermostats can help regulate the conditions in the room.

Hmmmm.

He may have been talking about teen-parent relations, but I have to think that this idea has a lot of potential applications, and not just for teens, eh?

Second, he told a story (which he says is a Native American story) about a man and his son walking in the forest. The father says to the son, "If I step in a pile of manure, that's life. If you see me step in manure, and you step in it too, that's stupid."

As I understood it, Rice uses the second story to drive home to teens that they don't have to do any stupid stuff their parents might do (get drunk, use drugs, not hold down a job, etc.), but, again, I think this has lots of potential applications. Yes?

Related previous post: Book note: Read This Book or You're Grounded, by Wayne Rice

No comments: