Wednesday, January 18, 2006

"How to Raise an American"

Myrna Blyth, writing at Incharacter.org, writes about some of the reactions she and her co-author Chriss Winston have been getting when they tell people that her new book is titled How to Raise an American. Sadly enough, they are getting grief from more than the usual suspects...

I can't find a listing for this book anywhere yet, not even for pre-order, so I guess it's still a work in progress?

I did happen to notice, though, while looking for that title, that Barnes & Noble is having a sale on Blyth's book Spin Sisters. Their "bargain book" offers don't usually last long, and so I expect this link to go dead soon, but since it's a fabulous price I'm linking anyway. Spin Sisters: How the Women of the Media Sell Unhappiness -- and Liberalism -- to the Women of America.

Blyth writes the Blyth Spirit column at National Review Online.

Update: The bargain book link above is taking me to the home page, even though the cut-price book is still showing in stock. This appears to be one of those times you'll have to do a search to see if the sale price is still available.

1 comment:

Bookworm said...

I thought Spin Sisters was a fabulous book. In my teens and twenties, I loved the women's magazines, truly believing that they could provide some "answer" in my life. I'm glad I've moved on (and they failed, by the way), but I'm very disturbed to read in Blythe's book that the magazines have moved from banal to advancing an agenda that simultaneously provokes liberal activism and a feeling of helplessness in its readers.