Thursday, April 10, 2008

Poem for today

Snow in the City

by Rachel Field

Snow is out of fashion,

But it still comes down,

To whiten all the buildings

In our town;

To dull the noise of traffic;

To dim each glaring light

With star-shaped feathers

Of frosty white.

And not the tallest building

Halfway up the sky;

Or all the trains and busses,

And taxis scudding by;

And not a million people,

Not one of them at all,

Can do a thing about the snow

But let it fall


From The Family Treasury of Children's Stories: Familiar Favorites, compiled by Pauline Rush Evans, published by Doubleday and Company for Keepworthy Books, a division of The Parent's Institute, Inc., New York, as part of the Classics to Grow On series. Copyright 1956 by Nelson Doubleday, Inc. Acknowledgment: Branches Green by Rachel Field, c. 1934, The Macmillan Company. (I presume I'm linking to information on the right Rachel Field. Correct me if I'm wrong. And, by the way, a quick check shows that Branches Green is another of those books you probably don't want to sell at a yard sale for fifty cents, considering that current prices start at ten bucks, and quickly jump from there to $30, $40, $50 and up.)

Technical note: Someday I'm going to figure out how to do indents around here. I typed this poem with indents on every other line, starting with the second line, but the indents went away...

I doubt we'll get enough snow to cover the ground, but it is snowing. Again. The forecast is for springlike weather come the weekend, but for now the main indication that we're not still in winter is that sunrise and sunset aren't right for winter. Thank goodness for that, by the way. I'm as ready for long days as I am ready for warm ones.

No comments: