Thursday, November 09, 2006

Life in a small town, anti-truancy edition

A few minutes ago on the radio, the DJ read a list of "first period absences" from the high school. He does this every school day.

Would you skip class if you knew your folks and friends were going to hear about it on the radio? Heh. Thought not. (Not that you would anyway, of course, you not being a kid who would dream of cutting class in the first place.)

Of course, most of the absences are excused ones, because of illness or some other reason the parents know about. But still, once in a while, I'm sure there are some surprises on that list. Surprises followed by action, I hope.

Sometimes, too, when there are lots and lots of absences, it can be a good clue that we've got a flu outbreak or something of the kind going on around here. In that respect, it can feed the grapevine in a useful way.

When we first moved here, I was shocked to hear this daily report. I'd never heard of such a thing. But now it's just another small piece of what makes this place what it is.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life in a small town. If my home city had tried that, the DJ would be reading for hours....

Kathryn Judson said...

Bookworm, Unless somebody sued for invasion of privacy or something like that, yes? (Sigh. Hiss. Boo.)

I think most people around here understand that it's a common sense measure, letting the school, parents, and community work together to keep kids out of trouble.

I don't know for sure, but I'm pretty sure that there are ways for parents to arrange to not have their kid's name read on air, if that's what they want. (If, for instance, they're hiding from dangerous relatives or something.) But, all in all, I think most parents like the back-up this service provides.