Friday, April 20, 2007

That book you've been meaning to ship to a friend?

If you live in the United States, you might want to clear out your to-mail or to-order stacks in short order.

New postal rates go into effect May 14.

I keep looking at the new media mail rates (for books, CDs, DVDs, etc.), and cringing. Under the new rates, postage for the least expensive package -- one that weighs less than a pound total -- is $2.13.

For comparison, the current price (in effect since January 8, 2006) for the same package is $1.59.

Ouch.

Rates go up for other types of mail, too. (But pardon me if I focus on the media mail. My husband and I are booksellers.)

1 comment:

bob jones said...

Well, no wonder I think I should visit more often whenever I drop by your blog. I love booksellers, books, and bookshops. I was charmed by "84 Charing Cross Road"