Tuesday, April 17, 2007

A hero

While of course I wish that Liviu Librescu had by some miracle survived yesterday's massacre at Virginia Tech, I am grateful that he did what he did, putting himself in harm's way so that his students could escape. I want his family to know that I join those in Romania and Israel and Italy and Virginia and elsewhere who want him to be remembered with honor.

In a wider sense, I don't pretend to know what it's like for the people at Virginia Tech or the loved ones of those injured or killed - or for the school administrators and police who are being loudly second-guessed by armchair experts armed with hindsight and the sort of certainty that only comes to certain types of people watching events from a distance - but I want them to know my thoughts and prayers are with them.

No comments: