Sunday, April 17, 2005

The Daily Demarche: 6 months and 200,000 hits later...

Late last December, I got steered toward a wonderful, wise, witty, very grounded blog called The Diplomad. Within weeks, though, he signed off.

His farewell message is a classic, by the way. We should all be able to take new turns away from old paths with such grace. See: "Hello! Hello! I really must be going!" at http://diplomadic.blogspot.com/.

The Diplomad called himself a member of the State Department Republican Underground, and he put out some pointed truths, in a very civilized fashion.

But he stopped. Just when I thought I was starting to really learn something from someone wiser and more experienced than myself, he stopped.

Luckily, he left a few pointers on who to check out, and through those suggestions I found several nice blogs, among them The Daily Demarche, another blog of the Republican Underground.

I'm not the only one who found them, obviously. In only about six months, The Daily Demarche has busted through the 200,000 visitor mark:

Just over six months ago I launched this blog, inspired by the now defunct and sorely missed Diplomad- not long after that Smiley joined me in this adventure in blogging. I think if anyone had told us at the time that we would last this long and attract any readers, let alone average about 1,800 hits per day we would have asked them to pass the bottle. We are having a lot of fun doing this, and don't plan to stop anytime soon, so please don't take this as a swan song- just a stroll down memory lane...
And, by the way, anyone else who is on a China Watch these days should definitely check them out. They do regular China-related round-ups, with many folks putting their heads and expertise together, and they also provide lots of good links.

Congratulations, Dr. Demarche and Smiley. And thanks for being there.

No comments: